Classic car enthusiasts spend countless hours cleaning and prepping their cars. The secret to getting your car prepared for a show, whethor it will be judged or not, is to start months in advance. For most collectors, this is a labor of love, their hobby, and they spend their free time prepping their cars anyway.
So, how do you get your car show ready even though you may not be entering it in a show? Lot's of people enjoy taking their cars out for a ride on the weekends or holidays. It's one of our national pastimes, and nothing is more relaxing and enjoyable. Here are a few tips that I've learned from entering my cars in shows, that may be helpful to you.
- Give your car a good wash with soap specifically made for cars - Meguiar's
- Clay your car - Griot's Paint Cleaning Clay or Griot's Speed Shine, Mothers Clay Bar, Meguire's Quick Clay System
- Polishes and Glazes - Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, Maguiar's No.7 Show Car Glaze, 3m Perfect-IT Swirl Mark Remover for Dark/Light Colored Cars
- Waxes and Sealants - Klasse All In One, P21S Concours Look Carnauba Wax, Meguiar's No. 26 Hi-Tech Patse Wax, Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax
- Wheel Cleaner - P21S Wheel Cleaner, Sonax R2000 Alloy Rim Cleaner
- Rubber Cleaner and Dressing - 3030 Aerospace Protectant, Meguiar's #40, Meguiar's Trim Detailer, 3M Rubber Treatment
- Interior/Exterior Plastic and Vinyl - Lexol Vinylex, 303 Aerospace Protectant, Meguiar's #40, Meguiar's Trim Detailer
- Plastic Windows - Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant, and Polish, Meguiar's #10 Polish, Meguiar's #17 Cleaner, Maguiar's #18 Detailer, Meguiar's PlastX
- Don't use Dressing on your tires or other areas. This is a no-no in car shows
- Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not dirty - Reach your hand up under the dashboard or anywhere else. When you pull your hand out, it should be clean. Yes, this is where the judges go!
- Use simple green and a soft cloth to clean your engine hoses. Do not prep them afterwards with shiny goop. Leave them just clean, that's show ready.
I hope to see each of you on the road this 4th of July!